This OBOA course has been designed to introduce or increase (where applicable) the concepts of Plumbing - House and to hone skills in terms of their ability to FIND (search the Code and identify non-familiar Code provisions), UNDERSTAND (to comprehend the language, structure and intent of a Code provision), and APPLY the Code provision(s) using case examples, situations and scenarios.
The objective of this course is to help you understand the requirements of the Ontario Building Code (OBC) applicable to the area of Plumbing - House (primarily dwelling units). This includes requirements contained in Division A and B, particularly Parts 1, 7, 9, 11 and 12 of the code.
This course covers the requirements of the OBC as applied to Plumbing - House. Requirements for Plumbing - House in the OBC have been identified to have an impact on the following:
- General, Health and Safety, Accessibility, Energy Efficiency
- Materials and Equipment
- Drainage Systems
- Venting Systems
- Potable Water Systems
- Part 9
- Renovation and Compliance Alternatives
Upon completion of this overview course, learners will be better able to:
- Relate the regulations relevant to plumbing and the inspections.
- Explain the role of a plumbing inspector.
- Explain the basic theory of plumbing systems.
- Explain, in detail, the plumbing in a typical single-family dwelling
- Apply a set of materials and attitudes common to other plumbing inspectors to help you on the job.
- Describe how to inspect plumbing installations.
- Explain the authority, responsibility and accountability of a plumbing inspector.
- Analyze plans of buildings and drawings of plumbing installations.
This course is designed to help prepare individuals to write the Ministry of Municipal Affairs Plumbing House qualification examination, the common element for all areas of MMA qualification.
No examination is included with this course.
[Visit the Humber College's website http://humber.ca/buildingcodeexams/ to schedule the applicable Examination, including payment of examination fees.]